Friday, August 14, 2009

Scratching the surface


Yep, that's what this morning was all about. Roughing up the surface of my uterus.

Nothing says 'yay, it's Friday morning!' like a speculum and a wire brush.

This was my third endometrial biopsy, and, fortunately, the best of the bunch.

The first was eons ago to check the quality of my lining. My doctor had to go back in twice and pinch out a section of the lining to send it for pathology. Twice. With pinchers. It hurt like a mofo. I puked afterwards, and ended up heading home for the day.

So you can imagine my delight when they said they wanted me to do it again for my FET (frozen embryo transfer) cycle. Apparently the new thinking is that by roughing up the surface of the uterine lining, you cause inflammation which means more blood heads to the uterus.

This is a good thing.

And by scraping it up, you create an uneven surface that is supposedly more receptive to catching and holding onto the embryo once it's dumped there.

This, too, is a good thing.

Yeah, time number two they didn't have to take anything out - they just wanted to rumble with it a bit. And rumble they did. Sweet jeebus, it was like a white hot poker had been carefully threaded through my cervix. The pain was thankfully short lived - but intense as all get out. Five minutes later I was fine, and I went about my day.

And now, as we prepare for IVF#3, here we are again at the endometrial biopsy. Wasn't looking forward to it, but wasn't dreading it either. Just one more uncomfortable procedure to be done with along this path they call in vitro.

Well, guess the third time really is the charm, because it didn't hurt this time!

Seriously!

Didn't hurt.

The worst part was inserting and removing the speculum. Can I just say, I really hate that part? They can't and therefore won't use any kind of lube, and so if you're already rather dry down there, it's like sticking your tongue on a metal pole in the dead of winter. Skin sticks.

And that's some rather tender skin, yo!

Ouch.

But it was done before I knew it and I barely felt a thing. Big relief. Big. Huge!

So now tonight I take my second to last Marvelon and look forward to sleeping in.

Keep it rough in there, will ya? Embie don't want no soft place to land!!

4 comments:

Nadine on August 14, 2009 at 8:23 PM said...

Great news! You are so on your way.

Kate on August 15, 2009 at 8:33 AM said...

Glad to hear that the biopsy went well. I had a surprise endo biopsy the last cycle. Was on day 17, done my exams, went in for the final cycle planning session with Dr H to agree what we were going to do. And then I asked when/if we could do the endometrial biopsy. "How about now?" I hadn't even taken any advil (I'd taken 600mg the previous time), and was worried it'd be awful. And then he had major issues navigating through my curvy cervix. Was just about to give up when it finally popped through (which I could feel, btw). Amazingly, it was really pretty fine. The first one (with all the advil on board) I barely felt at all.
Hope this cycle brings you your baby! You're that much closer now...

Spacey on August 16, 2009 at 8:48 AM said...

Glad to hear that the endo biopsy went well! Things are really moving along!

Anonymous said...

DJ - saw your new blog on BB.
I will be following along - wishing you success with your next round of IVF.
I love the sarcasm and writing...even if things aren't going how you expected. I got a few laughs while reading this new blog.

leobean

Post a Comment

 

Infertile Soil has had this many readers since it's conception

Sowing Seeds in Infertile Soil Copyright © 2009 Flower Garden is Designed by Ipietoon for Tadpole's Notez Flower Image by Dapino